Afghanistan: Ten members of one family, including several children, killed following US drone strike in Kabul, family says – Sky News

The US military says it is still investigating reports of civilian deaths after it launched a drone strike on a vehicle believed to be an imminent threat heading to Kabul airport.
Tuesday 31 August 2021 04:49, UK
Ten members of one Afghan family were killed following a US drone strike in Kabul, according to relatives.
The drone strike on Sunday was aimed at a vehicle carrying “a substantial amount of explosive material” and heading to Kabul airport, US officials said.
They said the strike had caused “significant secondary explosions” and that they were “continuing to assess the situation”.
Zemaray Ahmadi, 36, was killed alongside his sons Zamir, Faisal and Farzad – aged 20, 16 and 12, his family said.
Six of his nieces and nephews are also said to have died; a boy and girl both aged two, girls aged five and seven, a six-year-old boy and a 28-year-old man.
The family said Mr Ahmadi had worked with a foreign organisation in Kabul for 10 years as a technical engineer.
The brother of one of the victims, Aymal Ahmad, told Sky News that “one of my brothers was working with westerners”.
Afghanistan: Defence committee chair says NATO ‘gave up’ on country and did not have ‘resolve and commitment’ to see mission through
Afghanistan: Musicians are desperate to flee following the Taliban takeover – this is why
US commits to offer ‘condolence payments’ to relatives of 10 Afghan civilians wrongly killed in drone strike
“My demand from the international community is justice, whatever has happened shouldn’t happen again, I don’t care about President Biden or anyone else,” he added.
“I lost 10 family members we used to eat together, what shall we do now? And our financial supporter was our brother who died in the attack.”
US Army spokesman Major General William “Hank” Taylor described the drone strike as an “unmanned, over-the horizon airstrike on a vehicle known to be an imminent ISIS-K threat”.
“This self defence strike successfully hit the target near Kabul airport,” he said at The Pentagon on Monday.
“Significant secondary explosions from the targeted vehicle indicated the presences of a substantial amount of explosive material.
“We are aware of reports of civilian casualties and we take these reports very seriously and we are continuing to assess the situation.”
The drone strike followed last week’s suicide bombing at Kabul airport – which killed 13 US service members, three Britons and scores of Afghans hoping to flee after the Taliban takeover.

A separate retaliatory drone strike on Saturday killed two “planners and facilitators” for the ISIS-K group, according to US officials.
The group, a regional affiliate of Islamic State, carried out the suicide attack – and also claimed responsibility for a rocket attack on the airport on Monday
“As many as five rockets were fired,” Major General Taylor told reporters.
He said three had “landed off the airfield with no effect”, one was intercepted by a missile defence system, while the other landed “with no effect to the mission or any danger to our personnel”.
Although there have been no injuries reported, some of the rockets did appear to hit apartments near the airport, according to witnesses cited by the Associated Press.
IS claimed that it had fired six rockets.
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
It comes as American’s remaining personnel are due to leave Afghanistan on Tuesday, bringing an end to days of airlifts and chaotic scenes prompted by the Taliban’s rapid takeover.
Efforts to bring back Britons and people who had helped the UK’s mission ended on Friday.
Labour said thousands could have been left behind, but Foreign Office minister James Cleverly told Sky News it is “impossible” to say how many people are left in Afghanistan who are eligible to come to Britain.
He said the government hoped to work with the Taliban to ensure the safe passage of Afghans out of the country
Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player
However, he said he was “sceptical” about claims there would not be reprisals and that people wouldn’t be blocked from leaving.
The Taliban takeover came after Western countries began withdrawing their final troops, with President Biden following through on a Trump pledge to end America’s presence in Afghanistan.
A statement on Monday from The Global Coalition to Defeat Daesh/ISIS pledged to continue efforts to “ensure the defeat of this brutal terrorist organization”.
The coalition of more than 80 countries said it was focused on using “military, intelligence, diplomatic, economic, law enforcement” means to defeat the group and its affiliates.
Dominic Raab, the UK foreign secretary, tweeted that the coalition mourned the victims of the Kabul attack and would fight ISIS “by all means available, wherever they operate”.
Sky logo © 2021 Sky UK

source