Data returned from the Piano ‘meterActive/meterExpired’ callback event.
As a subscriber, you are shown 80% less display advertising when reading our articles.
Those ads you do see are predominantly from local businesses promoting local services.
These adverts enable local businesses to get in front of their target audience – the local community.
It is important that we continue to promote these adverts as our local businesses need as much support as possible during these challenging times.
South Korea building collapse
Rescuers in South Korea have resumed their search for six missing workers who are believed to be trapped at a collapsed construction site in the southern city of Gwangju.
About 10 vehicles were destroyed and dozens of nearby households and shops were forced to evacuate following the partial collapse of a high-rise apartment building that had been under construction in the city’s Hwajeongdong district.
The incident on Tuesday afternoon left piles of debris spilling across nearby streets.
Emergency workers rescued three labourers, including two who had been trapped in a shipping container pounded by rubble, but their operations were halted hours later over concerns that the 39-floor structure could further cave in.
Following a safety inspection involving government and private experts and camera-equipped drones that flew around the building’s crumbled exterior, which is now exposing mangled steel beams, emergency workers were seen re-entering the site with search dogs on Wednesday afternoon.
Gwangju Mayor Lee Yong-seop said the inspectors concluded it was safe enough for rescuers to enter the inside floors of the building. However, inspectors were concerned about areas near the structure’s crumbled exterior, which Mr Lee said would be predominantly searched by drones and dogs.
Officials said 394 workers had been employed at the construction site, including the six who remain out of contact following the accident.
Mr Lee and other officials did not specifically mention the possibility of the workers being found alive.
The city government has suspended all ongoing construction work in Gwangju by HDC Hyundai Development, the main contractor of the apartment project in Hwajeongdong, as it opened an investigation into the cause of the accident.
Gwangju was the site of a fatal accident in June last year, when a five-storey building that was being demolished collapsed and sent debris falling on to a bus, killing nine people on board.
South Korean President Moon Jae-in ordered officials to investigate the cause of Tuesday’s collapse and called for stronger safety measures to prevent similar accidents, his office said.
We want our comments to be a lively and valuable part of our community – a place where readers can debate and engage with the most important local issues. The ability to comment on our stories is a privilege, not a right, however, and that privilege may be withdrawn if it is abused or misused.
Please report any comments that break our rules.
Get involved with the news in your community
This website and associated newspapers adhere to the Independent Press Standards Organisation’s Editors’ Code of Practice. If you have a complaint about the editorial content which relates to inaccuracy or intrusion, then please contact the editor here. If you are dissatisfied with the response provided you can contact IPSO here
©Copyright 2001-2022. This site is part of Newsquest’s audited local newspaper network. A Gannett Company. Newsquest Media Group Ltd, Loudwater Mill, Station Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. HP10 9TY | 01676637 | Registered in England & Wales.